Online: 0 Guests: 23
Paramount Pictures has finally given Star Trek movie fans what they have been waiting oh-so long for: a more detailed story synopsis of the new film Star Trek Into Darkness. and judging by what the movie studio has to say about the next cinematic adventure of Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise, things will get dark indeed.
Here's what the studio had to say:
In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.
When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.
With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.
...it's amazing how the Hollywood marketing department can say so little using so many words, eh?
So, let's take a moment to analyze what we know, what's rumored and parse it with today's synopsis.
- "...the crew of the Enterprise is called back home..." means that Kirk and company are headed back to Earth.
- "...they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization..." Sounds like the main villain will be Starfleet.
- "...has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for..." if you take that at face value, this bad guy just blew up a good chunk of the Federation's supply of starships
- "...with a personal score to settle..." Does Kirk know the adversary? Could the rumor about Benedict Cumberbatch playing Gary Mitchell, the classic Star Trek character first introduced in the 1967 "Where No Man Has Gone Before" episode and who developed godlike powers, be the movie's bad guy?
- "...a one-man weapomn of destruction..." When he turned into a silver-eyed telekinetic madman, Gary Mitchell could have been called that.
- "...the only family Kirk has left: his crew." Did the destruction alluded to in the synopsis mean that Kirk's mother and younger brother Sam were killed?
Director J.J. Abrams likes to keep the details on his projects more secret than the formula for the sauce on a Big Mac. There's supposed to be nine minutes of the opening to Star Trek Into Darkness playing in front of The Hobbit when it comes out next month on IMAX screens. My guess is that we'll be shown the big devastating attack this synopsis all but confirms will happen, and that by the time the final seconds of the preview comes to call, Kirk and the Enterprise will be warping into orbit around a battered Earth.
Cue the six month wait until Star Trek Into Darkness opens in theaters in the May of 2013.